“The Afghan man who attacked the passengers of a train in Germany on Tuesday arrived in Europe with last year’s wave of migration”, the Prime Minister’s Chief Advisor on Homeland Security György Bakondi told Hungarian news agency MTI on Friday.

According to news reports the 17-year-old, who claimed to be a follower of the Islamic State terrorist organisation, seriously injured several people before he was shot by police who arrived at the scene.

Mr. Bakondi told the press: “During the investigation that followed the axe attack the German authorities were unable to determine the perpetrator’s name and identity, in view of which they requested assistance from several European partner organisations of which the Hungarian authorities successfully identified the young man based on fingerprints collected at the scene of the crime”.

“The Hungarian authorities apprehended the young Afghan on 23 June 2015 in Ásotthalom (near the Hungarian-Serbian border), but he left the receiving station for an unknown location while his asylum request was still being processed. Attempts to find him were unsuccessful and accordingly the Hungarian authorities discontinued the asylum proceedings”, the Chief Security Advisor said.

According to Mr. Bakondi, the incident highlights the extreme security risks that go hand-in-hand with illegal migration, and the fact that there is a close relationship between terrorism and immigration.

{Source: Government of Hungary-Media Relations-(MTI)

[Photo credits-featured image:  Illegal Migrants at Munich train station-By Wikiolo derivative work: MagentaGreen [CC BY-SA 4.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0)], via Wikimedia Commons]

###